This page has moved to a new address.

Movin' on...!

Rail Time - a Model Train Blog: Movin' on...!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Movin' on...!

As part of the process of my military transfer (known as a "PCS" for Permanent Change of Station) from NC State University to Offutt AFB, NE, the "big orange truck" (as my son called it) came and took all of our stuff. Including my train layout.

Either I have incredible faith in Allied Van Lines or I've figured something out in my 12 years of moving with the Air Force. Maybe it's both, really...

See, I had a 3'-wide hollow-core door layout when we moved here to North Carolina from Florida. It was also based on the Pennsylvania RR. I eventually scrapped it for the current layout for reasons unrelated to moving. But, that layout made it to NC from FL without a single tree out of place. I'd built a crate out of 5/8" plywood to transport it. Although I later cannibalized the layout, I kept the crate. Since the new layout is the same size as the old, the crate still fits.

Here's my layout taking the first step toward Nebraska (and a nice basement)...



I'd post more about this, but I plan to submit an article to the model railroad press about it (assuming the layout makes it intact; I suspect it will). So, you'll just have to wait!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave;

I will be praying for a safe journey. Your layout is an exceptional piece of work.

By the way, does this move mean it's appropriate to offer congratulations on your degree?

July 12, 2008 at 6:14 PM  
Blogger Dr. Dave said...

Thanks! Yep, I'm all done with the degree... I posted something about it on my other blog (Weather Six).

July 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well something tells me that you will be having a major expansion when you get to Offutt. I would love to see some pictures of your prior layouts, as that stuff is always interesting. I have made some more progress on the N scale layout, and bits and pieces on the HO. I will be in Overland Park, KS, at school sometime this fall. between weeks, I am taking a trip to the SAC museum. Maybe I could see your layout in person if you are settled in.

Brian in Belchertown

July 12, 2008 at 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home